vrijdag 18 januari 2013

Triangle granny scarf (and pattern!)

En geen minuut te vroeg! In de kerstvakantie begon ik aan deze driehoekige granny sjaal en hij is eindelijk af.  Met temperaturen die niet boven nul uit kruipen de komende weken is deze sjaal ook meer dan welkom.

And not a minute too soon! Over the Christmas holidays I started this triangle granny scarf and it's finally finished. And with the temperatures not reaching over 0 Celsius the coming weeks, this scarf is more than welcome.


Triangle granny scarf

Het idee voor deze sjaal gaat al een hele tijd terug. Ik ging een aantal jaar geleden naar Hamburg, om een artikel te schrijven voor een reistijdschrift. Ik belandde op een buitengewoon gezellige kerstmarkt en zag een kraampje waar een man met de hand hoeden maakte. En toen ik dit grijze 20s exemplaar zag, was ik meteen verkocht. Maar er moest natuurlijk wel een bijpassende sjaal bij.

The idea for this scarf is rather old already. I while back I travelled to Hamburg to write a feature for a travel magazine. I ended up at this really cosy Christmas market and saw this man that was making hats by hand. And when I saw this 20s inspired hat, oh it just had me at hello. But of course, it needed a matching scarf. 


Triangle granny scarf

Het maken van de sjaal ging niet over één nacht ijs. Terwijl het patroon toch zo gemakkelijk is en je, met een beetje doorhaken, deze sjaal wel binnen een dag kunt af hebben! Zoals gezegd had ik het idee voor deze sjaal al een paar jaar terug en kocht destijds ook het garen al. Ik koos Bingo van Lana Grosso. Dit is 100% merinowol voor haaknaald nr 5, het is warm en lekker elastisch. Aangezien ik niet kon inschatten hoeveel ik nodig zou hebben, kocht ik 3 bollen grijs en 1 bolletje wit. Maar ik was snel uitgehaakt. Ik had pas een piepklein driehoekje toen ik door mijn wol heen was. Mopper! Dus ik naar mijn plaatselijke wolwinkel voor dezelfde bollen...

Making this scarf costed me a lot of trouble though! It isn't the patter, 'cause the pattern is rather easy and I promise if you crochet for an afternoon and an evening, you'll have this scarf ready. So what went wrong? Since I had this plan for a year or something. I bought my yarn over a year ago. I chose Bingo by Lana Grossa for hook 5 mm. It's warm 100% merino and very flexible. I didn't know how much yarn I needed so I bough 3 balls of grey and one white ball. But my crocheting ended very soon, 'cause at the end of this year, there was only a rather small triangle. Whoops. I needed more yarn and went to the local yarnstore to get some more balls of the same yarn...


Triangle granny scarf

... en gelukkig hadden ze hetzelfde kleurnummer nog. Ik kocht een stapel bollen en kon weer aan de slag. Dacht ik. Want ik had te maken met een typisch gevalletje: ander kleurbad. Het kleurnummer van een jaar geleden week héél erg af van de bollen uit het nieuwe kleurbad. Ontzettend balen, maar aangezien de wol best duur is, vond ik het toch zonde om het project niet af te maken. Er was dus een drastische actie nodig. Ik haalde mijn hele werk uit, tot de eerste tour, en ben toen de kleuren om en om gaan haken. En als ik eerlijk ben, ziet dat er erg leuk uit! Het geeft de sjaal net wat meer diepte. En die witte strepen erdoor zijn ook erg vrolijk. Dus zo kan een mislukking toch nog op wat goeds uitdraaien. Altijd positief blijven!

... and luckily they had the same color number! I bought a stash of new yarn and I was ready to get back to business. Or so I thought. Because apparantly the pain bath of my first stash of yarn was quite different from the stash that was in the new paint bath. So same color number, different color. Yikes! This yarn is quite expensive and I didn't want to let it go to waist, so I decided I had to finish this project. And since desperate times, ask for desperate measures... I started all over again and swopped color every round. And I have to say: it works! It gives my scarf a bit of depth and I like that! The white stripes in there make it wintery and warm. So you see, just stay positive and even something you think would fail can succeed!


Triangle granny scarf crochet pattern

Het patroon van de sjaal is echt heel gemakkelijk. Als je weleens een halve granny square hebt gehaakt, krijg je dit ook voor elkaar. Je begint met een magic circle en daarna is het een kwestie van granny custers van drie stokjes. Alleen op het topje haak je 2 lossen in plaats van 1 en zo ontstaat dan de driehoek. easy toch? Wil je dit proberen? Ik kan je het patroon van harte aanbevelen! Je hebt 8-9 bollen Bingo van Lana Grossa (haaknaald 5mm) nodig, maar ik denk dat Rico Essentials Merino (haaknaald 4.5 mm) of Rowan Pure Wool DK (4.5 mm) ook heel goed werken.

The pattern of this scarf is so easy. If you've crocheted half a granny square once, you should be okay. You start with a magic circle and then start crocheting granny clusters of 3 dcs. On top you chain 2 instead of 1 between teh clusters and that make the triangle. Wanna try? You'll need 8-9 balls of Bingo by Lana Grosso (hook 5 mm), but I think you can also use Rico Essentials Merino (hook 4.5 mm) or Rowan Pure Wool DK (4.5 mm). 


Happy winter weekend everyone! 

PS. My patterns are for PERSONAL use only!!

36 opmerkingen:

  1. Prachtig! 't Is dat ik niet kan haken, anders maakte ik er ook eentje!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Gelukkig dat je hem toch hebt afgemaakt,want het resultaat mag er wezen!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oh how pretty that turned out! Much better than if you had switched to the lighter/darker after one or the other ran out--it almost has a 3-D effect now!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Dat ziet er heel goed uit en lekker warm.
    Een warm weekend gewenst.
    Groetjes, Corine

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Heel leuk. Ik wil hem ook maken. Moet ik wel opschieten... Haak niet zo snel, straks is de winter voorbij...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Wat een zalige sjaal ... en zo mooi passend bij je prachthoedje ;-) Dat heb je heel goed gezien ! Helemaal mijn smaak ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Heel mooie zachte kleuren ! Zoiets heb je voor jaren ! Groetjes, chantacaro.blogspot.be

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Wat een prachtige sjaal! Zou ik me er ook nog aanzetten ...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Mooi, merci voor het patroontje, ik ga dat ook eens proberen !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Ik vind het heel mooi zo met die 2 tinten grijs! Bedankt voor het patroon!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Dat lijkt me een mooi en makkelijk patroon, heb eigenlijk nog zoveel andere dingen te doen maar zei je nou dat dit te doen moet zijn?
    Wel verleidelijk en die kleuren zijn ook prachtig!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. you did a great work being positive!!!!!
    happy weekend, xxx Ale

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Mooi, die verschillende tinten grijs. Past leuk bij het hoedje!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Wat leuk!
    Deze ga ik zeker onthouden!

    liefs,
    Samantha

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. Ooops.That is rather a BIG difference in color baths... How annoying. I haven't bumped into this problem yet (touch wood...) but I've heard about it before. Another thing I read over at A Creative Being was that the fab cotton yarn from Drops fades in direct sunlight... Hmmmm. She showed pictures and it was not a very nice sight. I thought of you as I know you have made quite a few projects with that particular yarn.

    With every bump in the road comes a flat stretch... Your scarf looks like it was meant to be this way. Maybe even more fab than if it had been plain grey. :D Its a compliment. Really. I love it. Love the simplicity with the eye catching white lines. Lovely work as always. And hey, thanks for your input on my Blogging post the other day. Very refreshing to hear an opinion from a professional journalist. I received such a nice comment yesterday on that post highlighting all the effort and skills that us bloggers have. It made me really happy, it went along something like "having an online magazine and doing it all". I think that is very close to the truth as well and for those who doesn't get that... Well. I just feel sorry for them. Happy weekend dear Esther.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. Jeetje die kleuren grijs zijn wel heel verschillend!! Maar super oplossing zo, hij is erg gaaf!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. So beautiful and simple! I'm working on my granny square afghan for the first time and I love almost everything which is "granny" :)
    http://sonska.blogspot.sk/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  18. Love it! the touch of white really makes it!

    Best,
    sheila

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  19. Wat een verschil, maar hij is zo wel heel leuk... een geluk bij ongeluk! Het witte streepje maakt m helemaal af. fijn weekend! Lieve groet Paula

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  20. Wat een prachtige sjaal! Die kun je zeker goed gebruiken met dit weer :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  21. It's beautiful! Grey is one of my favorite colors to wear; it's so calming and neutral. Also I love the white stripe. Really striking. Thanks for sharing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  22. Wat een heerlijke omslagdoek. Moet erg lekker warm zijn, mmm. Wat goed dat je hem toch hebt afgehaakt.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  23. Ooooohhh! Gorgeous!, I looooooooooove it!
    Gorgeous... gorgeous...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  24. This is lovely. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_22.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  25. Cute scarf, Esther! The hat is pretty too :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  26. Beautiful and warm! Thank you for sharing.
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  27. I love it! This makes me want to learn to crochet!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  28. Gorgeous scarf Esther! and I love your hat too!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  29. Your scarf is so beautiful!! Love the color. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  30. I can think of some fun ways to wear that. :D Thanks for sharing.
    p

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  31. Gorgeous, I think the miss matching yarn actually made it much more beautiful! Thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  32. I like it better as it is, with all three colors :-)
    Thank you so much for sharing. And in English.
    XOXO,
    Cristina

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  33. Thanks so much for coming by and visiting our blog and sharing your awesome project. Come by again and link up some more awesome projects in our Saturday Showcase again next week!

    Have a good week!
    Susie@bowdabra
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/02/02/saturday-showcase-craft-project-linky-18/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  34. Very pretty! I would love to have you join me on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  35. Ik ben ook helemaal gegrepen door het haakvirus, dus deze gaat zeker op mijn to do lijstje!
    Mooie kleuren heb je gebruikt!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! Don't be shy, just leave a comment. I love reading them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...